Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Rainbow Cat Unicorn

   
Last week was a very challenging week. There were some things that had me quite triggered, bad nightmares, bad anxiety  and migraines as well. After waking up from a bad nightmare one of the days, my outlook on the day and life just starting off at the morning was very negative. My thoughts were negative. I was finding only the negative in my environment around me.

     It was good that I got to see my therapist that day. We talked about Opposite To Emotion Action which is a Dialectical Behavioral Skill that is based on the fact that if you do something opposite to your emotion your emotion would change.  So instead of listening to sad music while your sad one would listen to upbeat music. So for example, on my way to the therapist, when I noticed my negative thoughts to be all consuming, I switched my music selection to go for some Hawaiian music that was upbeat and reminded me of a place that I loved. This helped lift my mood and I was still struggling. My therapist also reminded me that when we do stuff for others in the Opposite to Emotion Action that it further increases are likelihood of changing our mood. I thought about how I like to send a friend funny stuff. I knew that it would be pretty hard for me to get triggered if I googled Rainbow Cat Unicorn and looked at these images that came up from that search. Yes, we found some funny ones.























































































































Hope you enjoyed those and have a nice day. Maybe do something nice for someone else or look for something that you know you will love like Rainbows, Cats and Unicorns.

PS. I forgot to say that Opposite to Emotion Action isn't there so that you don't feel emotions. Feeling emotions and validating them are important. Opposite to Emotion Action is there for when feeling emotions is causing hindrances in ones life or no longer serves the desire of the individual. I hope that makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. I really did enjoy these images. Just what I needed at work today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am glad you did :) I had fun collecting them.

      Delete