Monday, March 30, 2015

Cat Call Response Sing a Long by Mississippi Jones

   The other day I was having dinner with my dear friend, talented artist and overall awesome woman Mississippi Jones.  We're both feminists and were having a discussion about woman's history month and something else that I will share at some point in the future. Over yummy Thai food, she protected me from the chili peppers, we drifted off in the direction of street harassment.

   I mentioned to her that I don't respond when people harass me on the street, that I often don't know what to say. She told me she's a big responder and shared with me a selection of things to say back to someone who is cat calling or street harassing.

   I asked her if it was ok if I wrote a blog post about it and she said sure. Then this Sunday, I was totally excited when I found out that instead of doing her weekly song, which she has been doing for almost two years minus a couple of Sundays, she put together a Call and Response Song on what to say to street harassers.

I urge you to participate, not only is it fun and empowering but practicing can prepare you better for what to say the next time you get harassed if you want to respond back and of course if it is safe to.





                                                            
                                                               and remember!

Mississippi Jone's Response for Street Harassment
                                                             

                                                                  1. Really?!
                  
                                                                  2. I don't care what you think!

      3. I'm not here for you!

  4. Stop harassing me

                                                                  5. Go Fuck Yourself!

Also please share in the comments any response you have for street harassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment